The Ramon Theater was built in 1925 by Vera and Frank Thompson and named for their second son, Ramon, who was born that year. When it was built, they put in a wide stage, dressing rooms, and an orchestra pit because they believed Vaudeville would return. The Ramon became a venue for silent movies, complete with live piano accompaniment, and later served as the community's only movie theater until it closed in the late 1960s.
Under the leadership of the Frostproof Chamber of Commerce, the community came together in 2002 and raised nearly half the $1.3 million needed for the theater restoration, with the remainder coming from state and county grants. The first gala was held in 2007 to celebrate near completion of the renovation and the theater's opening as a community event venue.
The Ramon Theater is now a multi-purpose venue.
The Ramon is looking better than ever!